Father's Day



Yesterday I celebrated Father's Day with two of the most amazing dads I know. My own dad. And my sweet husband.

My crazy, amazing nephews are also in town for the next several days, so we had fun watching them play in the pool.

Just as probably any daughter could say, my dad is one-of-a-kind. The ultimate self-made man, my dad knows the meaning of hard work. He started his own paper route before he even had a driver's license, and for most of my life, he worked two jobs: his "real job" and his side business, Hayes Manufacturing. Many times he was up before the sun running cotton gin spacers and then it was off to Lufkin Industries for a full day's work and then back home again to work in his shop until dark. Even though he retired from LI several years ago, it seems he is busier than ever! His new passion is renovating houses. B and I greatly benefited from this new endeavor, and now we have a beautiful home, hand-crafted by my dad.

A goofy picture of my dad working on our house


My dad never gives up. He's definitely not a quitter. He works at something until it's just right. Sometimes as a kid, that would bug me. I would want to throw the towel in, but he just kept working at it. During the recession, the cotton industry struggled (just as everyone did). My dad's customers weren't buying spacers, and it was a scary time for my parents. But with his can-do spirit, my dad began looking for other opportunities to bring in new customers, such as Lockheed Martin and his former employer Lufkin Industries. In doing so, he developed a completely new side to the business and now has more work than he knows what to do with!

Even when he was growing his business, my dad never missed a dance recital, choir concert or school activity. He always made time for me and my brother.

My dad can tell a great joke. He's easy-going and always tells me at the end of each phone conversation, "Ya'll have fun!" 

Three years ago, my dad found out he had cancer. Two years ago, he had major reconstructive heart surgery. He's a fighter. You wouldn't even know he had been sick. And each year, I'm so proud of my dad as he walks the Survivors' Lap at Relay for Life.

Relay for Life 2012

As I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate my dad so much more. I  had always been close to my mom growing up, but now that I've moved back home and I get to spend more time with my dad, I cherish each and every moment. I know I can talk to him about anything, and he always offers great advice. He takes care of my mistakes (like when I backed into the garage door), and he never makes me feel silly or stupid when I don't understand something. He is patient, funny and constant.



I am so thankful for my dad!


Now for that other amazing dad in my life: my amazing husband.

Unlike some women, I knew exactly what kind of father my husband would be before we ever had children together. I get to witness every day what a great daddy he is. He is patient, stern and a lot of fun. You can tell Mary Liz adores her daddy, and I love watching them rough house and play together. He makes sure she is well taken care of financially, mentally, emotionally, etc. He makes her mind her manners, he works with her on her homework, he even fixes her hair in the morning (sometimes...)!! He is definitely a hands-on dad. He shows unconditional love. He is a disciplinarian. He makes sure she has fun when she's with us. He has hopes and dreams for her future.



I am so thankful for my husband!



Comments

Popular Posts