Patience

Patience.

It's something I don't always have with my sassy, sweet 5-year-old-going-on-25-year-old step-daughter. And something I'm really trying to work on.

Mary Liz is at that age right now where everything is so dramatic. She cries, whines and pouts about everything if she doesn't get her way. I have a hard time being patient with her. It's hard to tell her to "just grow up" because after all, she is only 5 years old. (Almost 6!) But sometimes I think she's just a little too dramatic about things. Is this normal for 5 year old girls? I don't know. My brother had all boys so I haven't spent much time around little girls.

With my new found resolve to be more patient with my precious step-daughter, I came home last night from work and just sat on the couch with her as we watched a movie. I haven't done that in forever. Normally I pick her up, come home, take the dogs out, start dinner, Brian comes home, eat dinner, take care of things that need to be done for tomorrow, get her in the bath and get her in bed (with a lot of help from my sweet husband, of course!).

Whew!

It's a lot. And not that I would trade my life for anything else in the entire world....sometimes I just don't take the time in the midst of all the craziness to chill out. Relax. Enjoy her.

I know she's only going to be this little for so long. She's grown up so much just in the last year. (Evidenced by her new wardrobe we had to go buy last night. She's outgrown everything!!)

So as Brian cooked dinner last night (a welcome break! Thanks honey!), she and I hung out. We played, laughed, tickled, acted silly. And by the time dinner was ready, I was relaxed. Happy. Content. After dinner, we went to McDonald's for dessert (chocolate shakes, yum!) and then to Walmart, Payless and Target. (We are bargain shoppers.) It was such a nice relaxing evening.

It's also nice to have the energy in the evenings that I never had before. We can go and do things like that because I feel like getting out instead of curling up on the couch and passing out at 9 p.m.

So I'm going to take a deep breath, remind myself she's only 5-years-old and enjoy the time I have with her. I love her with all my heart, and I want her to know that now; and when she grows up, I hope she remembers how much I loved her.

Always being so silly. We took these a couple of weeks ago. Just playing around with my front facing camera on my phone. I hope I never forget moments like these.






Comments

Popular Posts