There once was a time in my life...

There once was a time in my life...
that my journal was full of sad longings for a better life.
that I went to bed angry.
that I missed my family.
that I worried all the time.
that I wasn't happy at my job.
that I looked to books, TV shows and magazines for inspiration.
that I was lonely.

But no more.

It's amazing how much your life can change. Lately I've been thinking a lot about my life in Little Rock. As my husband and I were watching the NFL Draft last night, I remembered where I was when Darren McFadden was drafted by the Raiders...4 years ago!! I was producing my show that night. Darren was taken fourth overall, and of course, being the Arkansas Razorback hero he was, that was going to be the lead for my newscast.
 

It's hard to believe I watched the draft 4 years ago in Little Rock, running around like crazy, getting the information on the website and Facebook, and getting my sports guys in order! Last night, however, I was curled up on the couch in my PJs with my husband watching the same show. It never ceases to amaze me how much my life has changed over the years.

Oftentimes when I think about my life in Little Rock, I tend to only remember the good things. I guess that's the good thing about memories. We tend to block out the bad stuff. However, as my dear friend Amber can attest to, that's how I would get myself into trouble: by repeating the same mistakes over and over because I only remembered the good about the situation.

Don't get me wrong. I had a ton of fun in Little Rock. I met some amazing people. I had a prestigious and challenging job that I loved on most days. But there was always something missing. Due to my evening shift, I rarely saw friends and spent much of my time on my own. My family was too far away. I was lonely. Many of my friends were finding the love of their life, and I wanted that, too. I had horrible self-esteem at the time, thinking no one could ever possibly love me the way I wanted and needed. God closed a lot of doors for me at that time, and I couldn't understand why.



Today, Brian and I have been together for 2 years and 5 months. It seems like yesterday that we started dating, but then again it feels like he's always been in my life, too. I now know that God closed all of those doors in my Little Rock life so he could open the golden door to the life HE wanted me to have. A life in Lufkin with Brian.

No longer do I even keep a journal (unless you count this one!) and I certainly don't have anything negative to write.
No longer do I go to bed angry.
No longer do I miss my family. (My parents live 2 minutes away!)
No longer do I worry all the time. My husband and I have such an open and honest relationship. If there is something on our mind, we talk about it. I know what the future holds for us, and I'm excited about that.
No longer am I unhappy at my job. I have such a great job now! Not nearly as much stress, and I finally have a more normal work schedule that allows for me to spend time with friends and family.
No longer do I look to books, TV shows and magazines for inspiration. I am happy with me and my life. No longer am I lonely.

Thank God for that!

Comments

Popular Posts