Exactly Where I'm Supposed to Be

The other night Brian and I were watching a movie, and in the first scene, the main character (yummy Daniel Craig) resigns from his job as an editor. Not that his job title had anything to do with the rest of the movie (The Dream House...not what I was expecting, but not half bad).


Brian paused the movie and asked me if marrying him had ruined any of my professional dreams.

The question caught me off-guard because that thought had never crossed my mind. True, I had moved to Lufkin thinking I was only going to be here for a few months while my dad was undergoing cancer treatments and then I was going to move on, but I really had no other plans for my life past that. It was a strange feeling for sure. Something I had never done before. I liked having control; I had always had a plan for life. In college, my plan was to move up the ranks of the broadcast journalism world. I was going to produce stories for the likes of 20/20, Good Morning America and Brian Williams. I was going to travel the world telling stories of people without a voice.

 


But then something much better happened.

God's plan took action. I fell in love with the most amazing man I could have ever imagined.


When B asked me if he had "ruined" my professional dreams, I told him that God had never had all that in the plan for me. I wasn't meant to travel the world. I was meant to be Mrs. Brian Crager and live in Lufkin, Texas, just down the street from my parents and my own childhood home. Brian was GOD'S PLAN for my life.

You've heard the saying, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans." It's so true.

When I decided to leave Little Rock and move home, I had such peace. A peace I hadn't felt in a long time. I had no future plan of what I would do with my life. That was so unlike me. I like to have a plan. I like to know what's going to happen next. But the moment I put all of that in God's hands in September 2009, He began to bless me more than I could have ever imagined.

Just one month after moving home, I ran into Brian. Three months later, we were engaged. And seven months after that, we were married. Through it all, I trusted God would take care of me, and oh boy, has He!! 

There's nothing wrong with making plans in life. Brian and I "plan" to plant some bushes in our front flowerbeds next weekend. We "plan" to have a baby in the future. I "plan" to make dinner tonight (although that may not happen...!)

But it's when we get so wrapped up in the "plan" that we don't open ourselves to other possibilities... most importantly, God's possibilities. Once I did that, once I let go of my "plan" for my life and accepted that God would take care of things, I was overwhelmingly blessed with a husband, a step-daughter, a beautiful home, a great job and the list goes on.

Which makes me wonder what other possibilities I might be missing out on in my life because I'm holding too tightly to the plan. Something to think about.

Comments

Popular Posts