Time for a change



"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."
It is with that thought in mind that I've accepted a position as the Marketing Coordinator for Memorial Health System of East Texas, and I am leaving behind my news business days.

Lufkin.jpg
My new place of employment
Being a journalist, whether in TV or newspaper, has defined me for the past 8 years, including my time in college. I started out with hopes and dreams and aspirations, and I have been fulfilled by my work at both KARK and The Lufkin News. Now it is time for a change.

There have been a lot of mixed emotions about leaving the newspaper. Partly because I dearly love my co-workers and partly for the fact that I will no longer be in the news business. My passion for this industry has carried me through crappy schedules, long hours, challenging topics, small paychecks and breaking news. And while my love for storytelling and letting people know what's going on in their communities is still strong, I will re-focus my efforts on something different.

I took a major leap of faith when moving to Lufkin. I thought it would be a temporary stop over before I moved on to something different. Meeting and marrying Brian Crager changed all of that and I have been with the paper now for 2 years. During that time in my life when everything I had ever known was changing, the newspaper became part of my new identity. I could never have imagined the blessings God had for me when I moved back to Lufkin and my work at The Lufkin News has been a major part of those blessings.

Part of what drew me to marketing was that I would still have the chance to write and to be creative. I love my community so much, and maybe this new job will allow me to be a bigger part of the community, rather than being an observer. I will also get to try my hand at event planning. I really enjoyed planning my wedding, making sure all the details were perfect and such. And I will still be working very closely with the media.

While it still hasn't hit me that I will be leaving the newspaper, I'm excited about the possibilities of the new job. I really like my new boss and can't wait to learn more about the health care industry and marketing in general.

Some other things I'm looking forward to include: not having to listen to the scanner all day (Hallelujah!!), having my own office (no more cubicles!!), more of an 8-5 job (but honestly we all know those don't really exist any more), getting to be a part of community activities and not have to write a story about it afterward, and the list goes on.

Some things I will miss about the news business include: the rush I get when covering breaking news, compliments on stories I've written, knowing information about things before anyone else, and all the amazing people I have had a chance to get to know over the past two years, especially the Angelina County superintendents.

Life is about change.

When I was younger, I was not good with change. It took me a long time to adjust to things. Like moving away from Lufkin for college. Starting a new job in Little Rock and living on my own. Moving back to Lufkin. But because these past two years have been so full of change, (new job, living with my parents, getting married, becoming a step-mom, renovating and moving into our new house, new pet) I'm learning to love the challenge of adjusting.

I am embracing the change God has brought about in my life. I truly believe everything that happens in my life is the direct result of the path God has set for me. So far, I have been so blessed in every way. I look forward to this change.

Comments

Popular Posts