Lookin' for our pot of gold

On Sunday, Brian and I got up early and made the trek up to Fort Worth to see his brother one more time before Jon takes off for sunny Florida.

It was a fun-filled day with brunch, bowling and a movie (even if the movie was less than stellar). And laughing. Lots of laughing. The kind that makes you cry and unable to speak because you can't catch your breath. It was nice spending time with family and getting away from Lufkin, if only for a few hours.

We got caught by a few rain showers to and from DFW. It was amazing to see the drops of rain as they hit the windshield, something we haven't seen in quite some time. On our way home, we caught sight of a double rainbow. You can only see one in this picture, but trust me, it was beautiful. We were driving right toward it, joking about following the end of the rainbow to find our Lucky Charms and pot of gold.



But the true "pot of gold" was spending those 6-7 uninterrupted hours with Brian in the car. I learn so much about my husband when we are in the car. Things about his past, quirky stories he forgot to tell me during the week, his thoughts, hopes and dreams. And I am able to share mine as well.

Throughout the hectic week — between cooking dinner, grocery shopping, taking care of Liz, packing lunches, baths, laundry, taking care of the dogs and chores (just being a wife and stepmom!) — we do find small moments to just BE together. Whether it's sitting on the couch or on our back porch with the dogs, I thrive on those little moments of pure happiness and contentment. So as you can only imagine, 6-7 hours is a dream.

This weekend trip reaffirmed how much I love my husband. Of course, I never doubted that in the first place, but getting to talk so much also reminded me how alike we are and how well we fit together. I admire his willingness to learn and seek out answers on his own, his sense of humor and his devotion to me. I'm so thankful for that little road trip, for the rain, for the rainbow, and for the reminder.

Comments

Popular Posts